Part of the Walk This Play® series by ThickSkin, commissioned by Step Up MCR. Featuring stories and voices from the communities of Ancoats, Clayton, Beswick & Openshaw.
Celebrating the monuments big and small, the people that built the buildings from the ground up and that keep the beating heart of the area alive.
I am cobbles. I am red brick and stone. I am cotton mills. I am the water racing through the canals, connecting Manchester to the rest of the world. I am communities that care. Looking for a connection.
Monuments guides you around the Ancoats cobbles, old and new, asking you not to overlook the buildings and the communities that make the area unique.
What’s that sound? Find it.
*Monuments is suitable for all ages. Audiences require a headset and smart phone to download the free Echoes App in the Apple Store or Google Play.
You’re almost ready to begin your journey…
The walk starts in Cutting Room Square, outside Rudy’as Pizza in Ancoats.
We recommend you follow our tips below for the best experience. You are welcome to take part as many times as you choose.
We hope you have a wonderful walk.
Before you set off:
You will need to download the free ECHOES app to your device. Click here to choose Apple App Store or Google Play
In the ECHOES app, download the specific Monuments walk here.
Make sure you ‘download’ the walk while still connected to wifi, before you set off.
You’re ready to go!
You will need headphones and your smartphone.
Keep your GPS and wifi enabled.
Follow the instructions given by the narrator.
The route is circular and will start and end at the theatre, highlighted orange on the map.
When you start the walk, you will see your current position as a blue dot on the map.
- All walks are outdoors, so wear comfy shoes and suitable clothes for the weather.
- Download the app and the walk before you set off, while connected to wifi.
- If the app asks you about location settings, select ‘allowed all the time’ to improve GPS.
- Keep your wifi on during the walk as this will strengthen the GPS location, without using any data.
- If the sound disappears, just check on your map to find your route again.
- If you have any issues with GPS, you can find helpful information here: iPhone or Android.
- The walk is available from 9am – 8pm Monday – Saturday and 9am – 6pm on Sundays.
- The walk will last around 45 minutes (depending on your speed) with some inclines, but no steps.
- The walk will wait for you and can be enjoyed at your own pace.
- As this is an audio experience, D/deaf audiences can choose to use the in-app captions, available from 21 April.
- Visually impaired audiences may need a walking companion for safety with crossing roads.
- Walk This Play experiences are suitable for ages 12+