Sorry, I Disappeared
Part of the Walk This Play® series by ThickSkin, commissioned by Derby Theatre.
Inspired by the experiences of new arrivals to Derby.
Walk This Play® is a series of location-based audio plays by ThickSkin, designed for listeners as they walk.
The plays are immersive and immediate, transporting you inside the story. Each is unique to its location and invites you to experience a familiar route from a new perspective. Through narration and original music blended with the sights and sounds around you, Walk This Play® takes you on a journey of imagination and discovery.
To enjoy the experience, simply download the Walk This Play® app, plug in your headphones and press play.
Sorry I Disappeared has been created as a Walk This Play® experience for Derby.
You said you needed a new start…
So this is it, Derby, an alternative history.
Elle disappeared, again. Her brother, Kay, has traced her to Derby. He discovers the hidden messages she’s left him around the city, like an Easter egg hunt or trail of breadcrumbs.
Elle’s been pretty creative with the truth, so grab your headphones and listen in to her unique take on the world around you.
Suitable for ages 12+
Running time approx. 60 minutes
Available from October 11
“one can imagine a story like this set in every city in the country.” ★★★★ The Stage
“a colourful walk in the company of strangers.” ★★★★ The Guardian.
“brilliantly life-enhancing” ★★★★ The Scotsman
HOW DO I EXPERIENCE THIS?
You’re almost ready to begin your journey…
The walk starts on the corner of St. Peter’s Street and London Road, outside Derbion Shopping Centre.
We recommend you follow our tips below for the best experience. You are welcome to take part as many times as you choose.
We hope you have a wonderful walk.
Before you set off:
- Download the free Walk This Play® app to your device via Apple App Store or Google Play. The App is optimised for the following operating systems: Android – version 6.0 or later / iOS version 12.0 or later.
- In the Walk This Play® app, download the Sorry I Disappeared walk, available from 11 October.
- Make sure you ‘download’ the walk while still connected to wifi, before you set off.
- You will need headphones and your smartphone.
- The walk is outdoors, so wear clothes suitable for the weather.
You’re ready to go!
- Keep your GPS and wifi enabled.
- Follow the instructions given by the narrator.
- The route is circular and will start and end at Derbion shopping centre.
- When you start the walk, you will see your current position as a blue dot on the map.
- As this is an audio experience, D/deaf audiences can choose to use the in-app captions.
- Visually impaired audiences may need a walking companion for safety with crossing roads.
- If you do not own a smartphone but would like to take part please contact [email protected] for help.
Writers & Directors
Michael Beigel & Jess Williams
Composer and Sound Designer